Tuesday, April 7, 2009

And up the hill we go ...


Date: 4/5/09
Time: 9:45 a.m.
Temp.: 50*
Weather: clear, sunny
Length: 350 paces
Age: 10 minutes
Conditions: new, spring grass growing in deep dirt
Turns: 3
Articles: 1 leather, 1 cloth, 1 wood



Very nice conditions. Missed the first article even though he was right on track so I brought him back and corrected him when he got to it. I should have given him the opportunity to indicate it by himself, but I didn't want him to pass it up again. Not a harsh correction by any means, just a jerk on the fursaver, but still I should have given him a chance. I don't like to correct him on tracks. And like last track, I don't know if I like this "do-over stuff". I wonder if I should just let the mistake go and address it on the next track (i.e., baiting the article, etc.)

I was super happy with the rest of the track. Again, all turns baited. At the second turn Treck did a quick head check but other than that they were accurate. Interestingly, during his last leg, which was at the top of the hill and drier conditions, he was really slow and careful, it was nice. I don't know if that's because our hard work is paying off or because of the correction earlier during the track and he just didn't want to miss another article. As long as he's not worrying while tracking, I want him to enjoy it.


I believe age has played a significant factor in our success thus far. Treck is now more clear-headed and mature and if he gets lost or if there are longer stretches of unbaited track he still maintains a nice pace and is not hectic. Although he still maintains his enthusiastic love of tracking, which is great!

Thanks to Britta for the photos !

No comments:

Post a Comment