Sunday, November 22, 2009

Making progress ...

Well, Treck had the summer off from tracking due to his neck injury. We've been slowly getting back into a tracking routine again. At this time we've only been tracking once a week with the schutzhund club.

Twice now I've had other club members lay tracks for Treck using their own articles. This was a great training exercise as Treck either ignored or hesitantly downed for the unknown articles. Since then I've borrowed some of their articles and have left them unscented [I handle them minimally (i.e., only when placing them on the track)]. Also, when I lay his track I make sure I know exactly where I have placed them [I use natural markers (e.g., stick, clump of grass, etc.)] so I can correct him if needed. He has improved quite a lot even with just a few tracks and now recognizes them as articles and downs accordingly.

Although I work full-time and attend college part-time I hope to start tracking him in earnest so that we can go for the TR1. I have decided not to try for the OB titles, the 39" jump and 6' wall are too much for his age and injuries. The CDX, however, might still be a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment